Read in your language:

Saturday, June 18, 2011

Singapore Biennale 2011, Old Kallang Airport

We were elated to be greeted with yet another museum Open House during the weekend. This time, it was at the vacant Old Kallang Airport. I used to pass by the beautiful ship-like building on my way to ice-skating classes at Kallang Leisure Park, and wondered then, what it was.

* I wanted one of those helium balloons so badly, but as we arrived late and left even later, they were completely given out by then.

Old Kallang Airport
So, as I learnt that day, it's the Terminal Building, reminding me of the sea with its green glass windows.

Old Kallang Airport
... and 9 other random facts about the Old Kallang Airport.

Old Kallang Airport
The exhibits were in various school-like blocks scattered around the extensive grounds. Typical of schools during my time, there is no air-conditioning, and given the sweltering heat, we tried to make our way through as quickly as possible.

Wicked much? Lol.

Old Kallang Airport
A common sight in Singapore these days. You wouldn't have known that the National Stadium once stood there. I should perhaps feel sad, but for the fact that something bigger and better is coming our way, as always. Hmm... I have never seen the National Day parade live before, but I had been a participant in a Chinese dance once upon a long long time ago. With unenthusiastic parents, there are no pictures unfortunately.

Old Kallang Airport
Creepy. And that brings to mind Allison Harvard from ANTM I can't remember which cycle. My thoughts are random. Lol.

Old Kallang Airport
Things you can do with a hook. A pity The Noose has ended its run. I was beginning to have a slight liking for MPD. Random again.

Old Kallang Airport
Thick winter clothing makes me pine for Hokkaido. I miss the snow! Perhaps I should do a post on the wintry views from the trains and buses as we made our way through Hokkaido in early 2009. What? It's been 2.5 years already?! Time for another winter trip :)

Old Kallang Airport
It could have been Sadako's hair. And you can't see her standing behind you but she can see you. lol. Gosh, I wish they'd screen more Thai horror.

Old Kallang Airport
It makes me wonder if I'm a part of Mike Nelson's La Cannibale (Parody Consumption and Institutional Critique) (2008) featuring plinths shattered by a past unknown. Hopefully just looking in.

Old Kallang Airport
Old Kallang Airport
The experience of Old Kallang Airport translated and frozen onto glass by Gosia Wlodarczak, a Polish artist living and working in Melbourne.

Old Kallang Airport
I thought it was a prop, flipped it and found out that it was a real book featuring a collection of 100 contributions from different artists, curators, musicians, and writers on their aural guilty pleasures.

Old Kallang Airport
Be happy.

Old Kallang Airport
Mega jigsaw puzzle pieces. I wonder why no one thought of fixing it. The heat perhaps.

Old Kallang Airport
Old Kallang Airport
Last but not least, my favourite installation of the day! Photographs of the bombing of Nagasaki and Hiroshima? Look closely and you'll be amazed!

Old Kallang Airport
Yes, it's one of the many hand-embroidered silk pieces by Korean artist Kyungah Ham, commissioned by North Korean factories in an attempt to communicate knowledge subject to censorship across the closed border.

Detail from Nagasaki & Hiroshima Mushroom Clouds 02, 2010

Old Kallang Airport
I'm Hurt, 2009-2010 and I'm Sorry, 2009-2010. Four simple words that say so much.

Old Kallang Airport
Old Kallang Airport
Old Kallang Airport
Old Kallang Airport

No comments: